USS MULLINNIX DD-944

           Commissioning
              1958



Mullinnix Commissioning Video
Courtesy Jack O'Connell & Jim Young


7 March 1958

USS Mullinnix DD-944 Commissioning 7 March 1958 - Boston Naval Shipyard



CDR Anderson

CDR Anderson - USS Mullinnix DD-944 Commissioning 7 March 1958



Mrs Mullinnix

Mrs Mullinnix - USS Mullinnix DD-944 Commissioning 7 March 1958





USS Mullinnix DD-944 Commissioning 7 March 1958





Invitation to USS Mullinnix DD-944 Commissioning 7 March 1958
Courtesy of Howard Everett






Click on image
to download
USS Mullinnix DD-944 Commissioning Brochure
7 March 1958 (PDF File)










Seaman Of The Watch
USS Mullinnix DD-944 Commissioning 7 March 1958








Excerpt from “The Last Gun Ship - History of USS Mullinnix DD-944”
A Historical Novel By Frank A. Wood


“Finally, the day had arrived. Sea trials. Even though it was early spring, the wind was cool and smelled of salt and had the slight smell of sour fish. At 0400 fires were let under 1A, 1B, and 2B boilers. With the sun struggling to break through the clouds and occasionally succeeding, Mullinnix slipped from the pier into Boston Harbor headed to the Boston OpArea in accordance with orders from COMONE and instructions of the COMMANDANT.

Boston Harbor is the largest seaport in New England and the principal distributing point for regional commerce. The principal route for deep-draft vessels to and from Boston Harbor is via Boston North Channel to President Roads to Boston Main Channel. Numerous islands, shoals and rocks call for extreme caution. With the aid of the pilot and the experience of Captain Anderson, the ship maneuvered the varying channels, entered President Roads, slid passed Deer Island Lighthouse, finally entering North Channel.

With Buoy #5 bearing 150, the OOD set course 120 for Boston OpArea 4. Mullinnix was steaming under her own power at 15 knots. The rawness of the Navy’s newest fighting machine sent shivers down the spines of the crew, pride swelled in the chests of the lifers, and a Mona Lisa-like smile passed across the face of the CO. The waiting was over. It was time to put this baby through her paces. To see what she was made of. To see if she had the steel to be named The Mighty Mux.

At 0929, the morning of 18 April, 1958 Mullinnix entered international waters for the first time. There wouldn’t be any midwatch or midrats. There wouldn’t be gunnery exercises. No liberty. If only for a day, to be at sea was what the Navy was all about. Sailors belong at sea. Ships belong at sea. Mullinnix was finally home.

With conducting gyro compass, magnetic checks and degaussing checks, and sonar equipment checks, and testing the Welin Davits by launching and retrieving the whaleboat, the crew had a full day. Each department head had a laundry list of checks, tests, and procedures that needed to be completed on virtually every piece of equipment on the ship.

Friendships were forged. Old salts helped the Seaman Apprentice and the Fireman. Lifers were tolerant of the inexperience and immaturity of the younger members of the crew. And yes, one or two of the CPOs became sea daddies to the boot ensigns…”

To be continued…


Back to Ship History
Home

© 2006 by Frank Wood, All rights reserved.